By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Raisin Marketing Board and am eligible to win prizes associated with this contest. I was not compensated for my name. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
When I was on vacation with my family, the topic of our Christmas Day meal came up, and somehow, I ended up volunteering to cook the entire meal for all ten of us.
Maybe it's the association with oatmeal cookies and and other sweet treats, but I find many people don't realize how nutritious raisins are. Remember, it's dried grape, so raisins have all the same beneficial compounds. One of those compounds is kaempherol, an antioxidant flavonoid which has been linked to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. It may even help prevent nerve disorders and osteoporosis. Golden raisins, my personal favorite, are a particularly rich source. Another neat bonus to golden raisins - the dehydration process increases the amount of quercetin, another flavonoid with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. Raisins are also a good source of fiber, potassium and iron.
So, let's ring in the holidays with raisins!
- 1 head cauliflower, stemmed and chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons[url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063J1RCM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0063J1RCM&linkCode=as2&tag=anavada-20&linkId=TEKKL7RV7VUNG3ZG" rel="nofollow"] za’atar[/url]
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup California golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss cauliflower with olive oil. Sprinkle with za’atar and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Spread evenly on a large baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, stopping halfway through to add the walnuts and flip the cauliflower.
- When the cauliflower is caramelized and tender, remove from the oven. Add the golden raisins, toss to combine and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with capers and serve.
|Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Kale and Couscous Salad|
|Simple Muesli with Golden Raisins|
|Chermoula Roasted Eggplant with Bulgur and Golden Raisin Salad|