A tub of hummus, a seasonal veggie and pasta is all you need to make this spicy hummus with roasted eggplant! Tastes like baba ganoush in pasta form!
Hum. MUS. What is it good for? Absolutely everything
But really, it is. And I think this hummus pasta proves it.
Do you have pasta in your house? Of course. What about hummus? Duh, always. Some kind of seasonal veggie that likes to hang out in a hot oven and get all sweet and tender and caramelized? Darn it, you should! Because that’s really all you need to create this crazy delish and crazy easy dinner.
This pasta was the result of one of those days you come home, realize you didn’t plan anything for dinner and just can’t seem to drag yourself to the grocery store. Although my unreasonable fear of throwing away food has made me a pro at meal planning, sometimes I think my best creations come from days like this.
To make the sauce, I used Sabra's supremely spicy hummus. It creates a creamy, spicy and flavorful sauce that perfectly coats the pasta. Roasted eggplant takes on this buttery, melt in your mouth consistency. When the two combine, it kind of tastes like baba ganoush pasta! Not a bad thing as all my fellow baba ganoush lovers can surely attest.
What’s cool about this dish is that you can easily switch it up with different flavors of hummus and vegetables. Here’s some ideas:
Lemon hummus + roasted asparagus + peas + goat cheese
Jalapeno hummus + halved cherry tomatoes + roasted zucchini rounds
Horseradish hummus + smoked salmon + tomatoes + capers
Roasted garlic hummus + roasted zucchini + sun dried tomatoes
Olive hummus + spinach + oven roasted tomatoes
Possibilities = endless
Spicy Hummus Pasta with Roasted Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a cheese grater
- 12 ounces whole grain spaghetti
- 1 10-ounce tub of spicy hummus
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss eggplant with olive oil and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast 25-30 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Reserve 1/3 cup salty cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add shredded zucchini and saute until tender and lightly golden, about 7 minutes.
- Toss pasta with hummus, thinning with reserved cooking water. Toss in zucchini and eggplant. Serve garnished with cilantro, scallion and basil.
More hummus friendly recipes: