Eh, not so much. I guess according to the calendar, but mother nature hasn't gotten the memo. Usually in SC at this time of year, we're solidly in the 70s, but I'm still rocking my winter gear. This weekend we're headed up to Boston where we might be catching some small snow showers on our way out, so I can't even put up my puffy winter jacket!
Still, I'm not going to let a silly thing like weather stop me from posting spring recipes, like this spring salad with sauteed peas and scallions. Topped with crispy peppery radishes, creamy avocado, briny feta and sweet golden raisins, it's one of those perfect salads that has all the different flavors going on. Aka, my favorite kind of salad.
To round this out to make a more filling meal, add protein. This salad would be great topped with poached chicken, roasted salmon, or you could swap the feta for slices of grilled halloumi. I'd also serve it with a nice crusty roll or croissant on the side, since I usually need a little more carbs than the peas to feel satisfied.
Spring Salad with Sauteed Peas and Scallions
If using fresh peas, boil them in water for 60-90 seconds first before sauteeing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup dried golden raisins
- 1 bag spring greens
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Crumbled feta
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic clove and saute 30 seconds. Stir in peas, scallions and golden raisins and saute 1-2 minutes until scallions are wilted. Turn off heat and set aside to let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place greens in a big salad bowl and top with peas, radish, avocado and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Season with salt and black pepper and drizzle over salad. Toss to combine.
More recipes for Spring (whenever it finally decides to get here):