Homemade veggie burgers can be hit or miss. This recipe for vegan peanut ginger cauliflower veggie burgers are a hit! Made with a combination of quinoa, oats, chickpeas and rice cauliflower seasoned with ginger, soy sauce, peanut butter and fresh herbs. Enjoy over a salad on in a bun with an easy sriracha mayo!Read More
This sweet potato falafel naan wrap has got it going on. First, there's the star of the show - the sweet and savory, crispy-edged sweet potato falafels. Then there's the spicy green chutney, which you will want to put on all the things (eggs, cheese and crackers, grain bowls, chocolate chip cookies...oh wait no, that's weird). Then there's the creamy Greek yogurt - always full fat for full flavor...Read More
This whole grain pita with yogurt chickpeas and muhammara is packed with fresh Middle Eastern flavors!
Don't get me wrong. I love hummus. But sometimes it's necessary to switch things up. A few months ago, I stumbled on muhammara at Trader Joe's. I'd seen recipes for the Middle Eastern red pepper and walnut dip, but never tried it. It's deep red color and pretty package were calling me, so in my cart it went!
Holy smokes guys. Go out and grab some muhammara immediately! It's got a rich, deep and slightly smoky flavor that's enhanced with a bit of tart sweetness from pomegranate molasses. Spread on a piece of warm whole grain pita, it's pretty much perfect.
Actually, I take that back. Spooned into a warm whole grain pita along with creamy chickpeas with yogurt and crunchy vegetables, now that's perfect!
If you're packing this for lunch, you might want to pack the chickpeas and yogurt separately because the yogurt might make the pita soggy. The pita and muhammara would also make a great base for my green falafel or bulgur and lamb kofte.
If you don't have a Trader Joe's or other store that sells muhammara, this recipe from The New York Times looks pretty simple.
Chickpea and Yogurt Salad Pita with Muhammara
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 100% whole grain pitas
- 8 ounces prepared muhammara, or 1 cup homemade
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half moons
- 4 cups salad greens
- 2-3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together chickpeas and red onion, Add yogurt, dijon, parsley, lemon juice, zest, and smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm pitas in a toaster until lightly toasted, or microwave 20 seconds. Cut pitas in half and open each half to make a pocket. Spoon 2 tablespoons muhammara into each pita half and spread evenly. Stuff with salad greens, carrot, cucumber and spoon in 1/8th of the chickpea mixture. Sprinkle in goat cheese and serve.
More pita friendly recipes:
These chickpea hummus salad sandwiches are the perfect vegan appetizer for entertaining or tailgating! It's super easy, and you can switch up the flavor by using different flavors of hummus. People won't be able to stop munching on these little finger sandwiches!Read More