These gluten free coffee cake muffins are made light and fluffy with coconut flour and studded with chocolate chips and crunchy toasted pecans! Perfect for breakfast or a sweet snack!
Have you ever cooked with coconut flour before? It's now my favorite grain-free flour to cook with, but we didn't exactly start off on the best foot.
Coconut flour soaks up a lot of liquid, a fact I was not aware of when I tried to make coconut flour shortcakes and replaced white flour for coconut flour one to one. I took a bite and it literally soaked up all the liquid in my mouth. I had to chug an entire glass of water to rehydrate!
But now that I know lost of liquid and eggs is the key to cooking with coconut flour, I'm slightly obsessed. I will say, they do make the best pancakes. And add the perfect amount of cakey flavor to my favorite oatmeal cookies...and these fluffy coffee cake muffins too!
Before I hop to the recipe, I'm excited to announce that Ann, Alex and I have launched a self study version of our 6-week online wellness program, Joyful Eating, Nourished Life! If you've connected to the non-diet approach to eating that I share on this blog, this program will help you break up with the diet mentality and learn to eat out of nourishment, not deprivation. Here's what graduates of our live program had to say:
Head to our website joyfuleatingprogram.com to sign up for our newsletter, where we'll be sharing the discount code to save $50 on the self study program for our subscribers. But do it fast, because the discount is only running through tomorrow!
And if you feel like you'd benefit from more support, we're running the live version of our program again in April, where you'll get lifetime access to a private facebook group with support from us three dietitians.
Coconut Flour Coffee Cake Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Author: Rachael Hartley, RD, LD, CDE, CLT
Serves: Makes 9
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pecans, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, 1/4 cup maple syrup. Stir wet ingredients into dry. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place 9 cupcake liners in a 12-well muffin tin. Divide half the batter between the muffin tins. Dollop spoonfuls of the pecan mixture on top, reserving half. Top with the remaining batter, then top the muffins with spoonfuls of the remaining pecan mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake 25 minutes.