These dense and hearty gluten free carrot-pecan muffins are whole grain and naturally sweetened with carrots, bananas and dates.
Alternate title: Life Changing Muffins.
This is no exaggeration friends. These bad boys are made with a combination of gluten free whole grains and almond meal and naturally sweetened with only dates, banana and shredded carrots. Although they're not cakey like store bought muffins, they're hearty and dense - a stick to your rib type of muffin.
I adapted this recipe from Green Kitchen Stories, and since then, I've adapted it many more times. Just keep the basic dry and wet mixtures the same, then swap in different shredded fruit, vegetables and nuts. You could also swap apple sauce for mashed banana if you like, but add a few extra dates to compensate for the sweetness. Although these muffins are gluten free, you could also make them gluten full by swapping whole wheat flour or spelt flour.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 roughly chopped carrots, about 1 cup
- 6 dates, pitted
- 2 medium bananas
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place oats in a food processor and blend until they form a flour. Pour out into a large bowl. Add almond meal, buckwheat flour, tapicoa starch, baking powder, baking soda, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and whisk to combine.
- Place carrots in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Add dates to the flood processor and blend until roughly chopped. Add bananas, eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, and ginger and blend until pureed. Stir wet ingredients into dry until fully combined. Stir in pecans.
- Divide batter evenly between the wells of a lined 12 cup muffin tin. Place in the oven and bake 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Store covered at room temperature and transfer to the refrigerator after a couple days.