This cravable kale tortilla salad with jalapeno-lime dressing is the perfect lunch salad - hearty, satisfying and easy to make in advance.
Woo! The site is back up and working! My sincerest apologies if you tried to access over the past three days and weren’t able. Long story short, my google adsense account got disabled, we tried to fix it ourselves and ended up taking down the entire site in the process. After three long days of scratching our heads, screaming and crying at my computer, then drowning our sorrows and frustrations in an ungodly amount of sushi, it’s fixed. If you love this blog, please, give my husband/IT guy a hug and buy him a drink. He basically gave up his whole weekend working on the site and I think earned a computer science degree in the process.
When “S” hit the “F,” cooking was the last thing I wanted to do (hence the massive amount of sushi we ate Saturday night). Thankfully, I had a big batch of this kale salad in the fridge already prepped and ready to go. Kale salad is kind of great for a make ahead meal - the sturdier leaves don’t wilt after dressing, so you can store an entire dressed salad in the fridge all week. With this one, all I did was toss in a handful of crumbled tortilla chips before serving to give it some extra crunch.
Reading back over that last paragraph, I don’t think I gave this salad the credit it deserves. This is, like, a really good salad. It’s cravable. Yes, we're still talking about a kale salad. This weekend when I horribly stressed and wanting to eat my feelings in the form of a bacon pimento cheeseburger with fried green tomato, I remembered this salad was in the fridge and immediately forgot about that burger. That’s how good this is!
Kale Tortilla Salad with Jalapeno-Lime Dressing
Adapted from Fresh, Fast, Green (<--- my go to salad cookbook by the way)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch of kale, thick stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, preferably grassfed
- 2 ounces corn tortilla chips, crumbled
- First, quick pickle the red onions. In a small bowl, toss the red onion slices with apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine and let sit while you prepare the rest of the salad, tossing every so often.
- Next, make the dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until combined. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of dressing. Using your hands, massage dressing into the kale to soften. Toss kale with cherry tomatoes, avocado, black beans, cheddar and pickled red onions (discard vinegar). Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and additional dressing before serving.
You might also like: