While I'm off traveling, I've got another guest post in line from Jess DeGore, who is a Philly-based dietitian at Dietitian Jess and has been a long time reader of my blog. I always appreciate her insightful comments and this delish looking recipe!
Hello readers! My name is Jess and I’m the Registered Dietitian and blogger at dietitianjess.com (so original, I know). I’m thrilled to be posting for Rachael today as I’ve been a huge fan of her blog for the past few years. We definitely have a similar mentality when it comes to dieting and nutrition counseling- her Wellness Wednesday posts always have me nodding enthusiastically. Rachael and I also are both huge college football fans and love traveling (can’t wait to read her upcoming trip recap), I hope one day we will get to finally meet in person! In the meantime I have a delicious Mexican Pasta Salad recipe I’m sharing with her readers today. This dish is great for your upcoming Memorial Day cookout to feed the masses or can be easily halved if you’re enjoying it on a weeknight with your family. I see food as a way to celebrate and bring people together so what better way to do that then to combine my love of pasta and Mexican food into one dish. Pasta salad is my always my go to crowd pleaser for potlucks, what is yours??
- 12 oz pasta
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- While pasta is cooking prepare the vegetables by washing and chopping the tomatoes, pepper, onion, and jalapeno. Husk corn if using fresh, defrost if using frozen. Drain and rinse black beans.
- Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, rice vinegar, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper to make the vinaigrette.
- Combine the cooked pasta, chopped vegetables, and vinaigrette. Stir until everything is well mixed and coated with vinaigrette. Refrigerate overnight for best taste.
- Add avocado and cheese just prior to serving.