Spaghetti with tempeh sausage marinara and artichokes is the perfect way to highlight my favorite Spring vegetable - artichokes!
Welcome to Spring! Although winter tried to raise it's ugly head with a 35 degree night this weekend, my t-shirt and yellow dusted car are telling me Spring is finally here.
So, let's celebrate with artichokes, my favorite Spring veggie!
This dish is perfect for this time of year when Mother Nature can't seem to make up her mind. It's warm, comforting, and pasta-y, but is also the perfect way to highlight Spring produce. Feel free to throw in anything that looks good at the farmer's market - asparagus, spinach, arugula and carrots would all be beautiful here!
[Tweet "A recipe for spaghetti with tempeh sausage marinara and artichokes by @RHartleyRD #vegan #MeatlessMonday"]
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 ounce bag frozen artichoke hearts
- 2 28-ounce cans tomato puree
- 2/3 cup black olives
- 1 lb 100% whole grain pasta
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Marinade tempeh in vegetable broth and soy sauce for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large sided skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add drained tempeh, fennel, basil, oregano, sage, garlic and pepper flakes. Saute 7 minutes, stirring every so often. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add artichoke hearts, tomato puree, and olives. Simmer 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta and serve.