A vegan take on taco salad made with tempeh and cashew sour cream. The whole family will love this plant based meal!
Just a quickie post for you today, sharing a tasty little vegan salad I whipped up a few months ago. My kitchen creativity has been waning the past couple weeks, so I had to dig through the archives for an awesome recipe with pictures to match.
Even though I passed over this recipe the first time around doesn’t make it any less worthy of being shared. However, because I did have a full weekend of work, plans to celebrate one of my best friends 30th birthdays Sunday night, and an early morning class I'm teaching on Monday, it isn’t worthy of me chatting about it more than this!
Vegan Tempeh Taco Salad with Cashew Sour Cream
Tempeh Taco Meat:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt free taco seasoning
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 2 ounces tortilla chips, roughly broken
Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water at least 2 hours
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 5-7 minutes until tender. Add tempeh, taco seasoning, and saute 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- While tempeh is sauteing, blend soaked cashews, water, apple cider vinegar and salt in a food processor until smooth, about 5 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together lettuce, radishes, black olives and tortilla chips. Top with tempeh meat, cashew sour cream, and salsa and serve.