Inspired by my all time favorite vegetarian lasagna recipe, this weeknight friendly recipe for vegetarian polenta lasagna with kale, butternut squash and creminis is sure to become a new favorite! Use precooked lasagna rounds in place of lasagna noodles, which makes it gluten free too. Layered with caramelized fall vegetables, spicy arrabiata sauce, and lemony ricotta.Read More
Is there anything more comforting than creamy pasta? Enjoy a bowl of comforting goodness in less than 15 minutes with this recipe for easy herbed ricotta fettuccine, made with a simple no-cook sauce of ricotta blended with garlic, herbs and olive oil. Add your favorite seasonal vegetables to make it a meal!Read More
Citrusy preserved lemon cuts the richness of creamy avocado and ricotta cheese in this avocado and ricotta tartine. Perfect for breakfast and a light lunch paired with a salad.
For me, an avocado sandwich is a comfort food that reminds me of childhood. Weird, I know, but don't be too concerned for my sanity. Macaroni and cheese, oreos and creamed spinach all fall in the same category.
My love affair with the avocado sandwich began in middle school, when I decided to become a "vegetarian" for a couple years.I wasn't a very healthy vegetarian, and actually, I wasn't even a real vegetarian since I snuck bites leftover chicken at night. But while I was in this phase, I developed a bit of an obsession with the avocado sandwich at Atlanta Bread Company. I remember thick slices of avocado on multigrain bread with lots of crunchy sprouts, cucumber, roasted red pepper and cheese. I ate one almost every time I went to the mall, which was pretty regularly in the decade of Clueless and Claires.
This tartine is a grown up version of my childhood favorite. The rich, fatty avocado and creamy sweetness of the ricotta meld together perfectly. The toasted whole grain bread adds crunch while the preserved lemon gives a bust of citrus and salt with each bite.
Avocado & Ricotta Tartines
Adapted from House Beautiful Magazine.
- 1 cup organic, whole milk ricotta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 slices of 100% whole grain bread
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and thin sliced into rings.
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- skin (rind) of 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
- flaky sea salt
- Toast the bread.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, lemon zest, olive oil and season with a few pinches of salt and black pepper.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread each serving with a quarter of the ricotta mixture, 2-4 tablespoons per slice depending on how many slices you're using.
- Divide the slices of avocado evenly among the tartines. Top each serving with a quarter of the sliced shallots and garnish with toasted sesame seeds, preserved lemon peel and flaky sea salt.