Use whole grain pita in this grilled zucchini, green onion and ricotta pizza as a quick and easy crust! It's an easy veggie packed pizza for summer!
Quickie post today as I explore Austin, TX with two of my besties!
After the longest winter ever, how excited are you about grilling season? For a wedding present, my grandpa gave us a really nice grill, so when it’s warm enough, we like to use it as often as possible. Actually, this time of year is my favorite time to grill, because Columbia’s infamous mosquitos aren’t out yet.
I love a good homemade pizza dough, and throwing it on the grill makes it extra delish. But sometimes I need something a little easier and more weeknight friendly. That’s where the pita pizza comes in. No, it’s not a crispy, chewy, homemade crust, but it’s easy and tasty. So I like it.
Normally, this dish could be thrown together in 30 minutes or less. However, I started watching 20 Feet From Stardon on Netflix and was completed transfixed (and distracted). Thank goodness my husband was out of town because I was simultaneously crying and singing loudly singing to myself as I cooked. So really, while this should have been a 30 minute meal, it took me a good hour and 15 minutes.
Grilled Zucchini, Green Onion and Ricotta Pita Pizza
- 1 lb zucchini, halved, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 large green onions, ends trimmed
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 100% whole grain pita breads
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Spray grill with oil. Set to medium heat.
- Toss zucchini with olive oil, cumin and season with salt and pepper. Place zucchini, green onion, and jalapeno on the grill. Grill the zucchini and green onion about 2 minutes per side. Grill the jalapeno about 2 minutes on four sides. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Mix ricotta cheese, cilantro and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl. Season with a little salt.
- Cut the green onions in quarters, lengthwise. Stem, seed and slice the jalapeno into thin strips.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture on each pita. Top with jalapeno, scallions and grilled zucchini. Top with feta cheese.
- Place the pita pizza back on the grill for about 3 minutes to crisp, or place it in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
More easy pizza recipes: