My body is so confused right now.
Thursday, I was bundled up in my new UNIQLO down winter coat (which I had to purchase because apparently temperatures in the teens is a thing that can happen in SC these days), munching on a bowl of this instant pot vegan mushroom barley soup with pumpkin to warm myself up. Then on Saturday, I was outside running in shorts and a tank top. Weirdest winter ever.
Judging the chaos of this winter season, you're probably going to have to pull out your long johns again, so even if you're enjoying a sunny almost 70 degree day today, you'll probably want to pin this recipe for later (like, Wednesday).
Technically, this recipe wasn't make in the Instant Pot since I have this pressure cooker, which I love. But google/pinterest searchers have decided Instant Pot is the thing, so we're going with it. The directions are the same though :)
If you haven't gotten on board with the whole Instant Pot/electric pressure cooker thing, you really should. I've mainly stuck to cooking grains, beans and soups, but there's a whole world of possibilities including bread, noodles, risotto, oatmeal, and tacos. To make this soup, all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together in the cooker, set for 40 minutes, and you've got an incredibly rich and flavorful soup, that eventually thickens a bit to a stew-like consistency.
Feel free to swap different beans, greens and grains. You could use black beans or white beans, or different types of dry beans. You could also use collards or chard, although I'd steer clear of any tender greens, like spinach, that might turn to mush. And brown rice, farro or wheat berries would also be delicious in here too. Just make sure it's a larger grain with a bit of a chew to it.
When this soup first comes out of the Instant Pot, it will be a soupier consistency, but as it sits it'll get more stew-like. Feel free to adjust the liquid if you want a soupier or stewier consistency.
Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup with Pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed, cut into thick ribbons
- 1 14-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Add all ingredients to an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. Cover and secure lid. Set manual time to 40 minutes and ensure the pressure valve is sealed. Let the pressure naturally release.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve.
More Instant Pot or pressure cooker recipes: