This vegetable and soba noodle stir fry is made with chewy, buckwheat soba noodles made from sweet potato and buckwheat. It's packed with veggies - strips of eggplant, green beans, bok choy, and red bell peppers, as well and stir fried tofu and drenched in a spicy peanut sauce!
I don't know how such an egregious mistake could have occurred, but in my year and a half as a blogger, I haven't shared a single stir-fry recipe. For something that makes an appearance on our dinner table almost every week, that's just not okay.
Lately, we've gone through a string of boring, not at all interesting stir-fries. I think we just hit a spell for not so great recipes. But finally I struck gold with this recipe. It's packed with veggies. The peanut sauce isn't too thick and peanut buttery, like so many other peanut sauces I've made. And these gluten free soba noodles, made from sweet potato and buckwheat flour, are my newest obsession.
Vegetable and Soba Noodle Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce
Serves: Depends on how hungry you are! Probably about 6ish.
Adapted from Goop (I know....don't judge me!)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime (~ 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2-4 dried red Thai chilies, partially seeded and chopped
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons avocado oil, canola oil or peanut oil
- 8 ounces tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into French fry sized strips
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green beans, halved
- 1 medium bok choy, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- First, make the sauce. Blend all the peanut sauce ingredients together in a food processor until smooth and combined. Season with salt to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil and cook soba noodles according to package instructions. When tender, drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium high heat. Season tofu with salt and pepper and add to oil. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes total. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil in the skillet on medium-high heat. Add eggplant, green beans, bok choy, and red pepper. Cook until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add cooked soba noodles and peanut sauce and toss to combine. Add tofu and toss again. Serve garnished with peanuts and green onions.