This simple dish, roasted broccoli, chickpea and brown rice bowl gets a major flavor boost from a tangy five minute mustard-soy dressing.
Continuing the theme of simple recipes, today's recipe is a dish literally anyone can make. It's just three basic ingredients drizzled with a quick, flavorful sauce. Although it takes a little bit of time for the broccoli and brown rice to cook, this vegan rice bowl requires no more than fifteen minutes of actual hands-on prep time. Considering the source, someone who takes a good hour and a half to cook a "thirty minute meal", I bet you can do it even faster.
I'd like to dedicate this post to broccoli, a food most people either love, or absolutely hate. I'm guessing how it was prepared for you as a child determines what category you fall under. Soggy, overcooked, sulfurous smelling broccoli drenched in a watery fake cheese sauce is about the least appetizing thing I can think of. But tender, caramelized roasted broccoli...well, that's another story.
To the broccoli haters out there, I am determined to convert you with this recipe! If you prepare broccoli right, it's actually delicious! Roasting is definitely the trick, as it brings out broccolis nutty flavor and makes the trees nice and crispy. If you made it through childhood feeding your broccoli to the dog, I think this may be the recipe to convert you.
To make this, simply toss together roasted broccoli florets, canned chickpeas and brown rice, then drizzle with my super easy mustard-soy dressing. To save time, use microwave brown rice or frozen brown rice, which you can heat up in seconds. To make an even more filling meal, add baked tofu or seasoned tempeh, or leftover diced chicken. You could also bulk it up with more vegetables, like roasted red peppers or cherry tomatoes.
Broccoli, Chickpea and Brown Rice Bowl
Adapted from The New York Times.
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce (tamari for gluten free version)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Place brown rice and 2 1/4 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss broccoli with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender and browned in spots.
- While rice and broccoli are cooking, whisk together mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce and a pinch of sugar.
- When rice and broccoli are finished, toss in a large bowl with chickpeas. Drizzle with mustard sauce and serve.
More Broccoli Recipes: