I am excited to partner with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! to bring you this recipe as part of Unilever’s Agents of Change program. I was compensated for my time, but as always, opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this blog possible!
When I first started thinking about eating healthfully, it always stemmed from a place of fear. Are those French fries going to make me gain weight? Will eating meat give me a heart attack? Is that ingredient going to give me cancer?
Today, I don’t view food in such a binary way. I’ve also learned to shut out those sensationalist voices and instead, think about the big picture of how I’m feeding and taking care of my body (and soul!).
Fear is no longer a motivator behind my eating. Instead, what motivates me is kindness. Kindness for myself, by feeding my body with food that tastes good and does good. And kindness for the planet, by considering sustainability, and making choices that have less of an impact on the planet.
Big picture, that means making choices about what to eat in the moment considering taste and nutrition, rather than setting strict food rules or parameters around my eating. From a practical standpoint, it means preparing more tasty plant-focused meals. It means shopping at the farmer’s market for extra nutrient dense local produce that also tastes better too. And it means purchasing organic products when I can.
This recipe for farmer’s market skillet with pistachio-herb spread is the perfect example of those principles. I love to go to the farmer’s market and pick up whatever is in season and sauté it in a big skillet to get all that delicious caramelization. Produce at peak ripeness tastes so good, you really don’t need to do much to bring out the flavor. I baked eggs over the top to round it out with protein, then served the skillet with dollops of a herb and pistachio infused I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! ® It’s Organic! spread.
I’m loving ICBINB! ® It’s Organic! because it’s nice to have an organic option that still has a fresh, buttery taste and works for spreading, sautéing, cooking or baking. It’s a spread made with the goodness of plant based oils that have the same kind of fats as walnuts, avocados, and almonds. It’s also made without any partially hydrogenated oils.
Feel free to adapt this recipe for each season. In the fall, make it with sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and mushrooms. In the spring, try asparagus, peas, and fennel. And in the winter, use winter squash, beets and kale.
Summer Farmer’s Market Skillet with Pistachio-Herb Spread
Serve this with a side of crusty whole grain bread to soak up the buttery yolk, and unsweetened iced tea, because SUMMER! This recipe makes extra pistachio-herb spread, which you can refrigerate and enjoy over toast or tossed with pasta.
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ½ cup I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! ® It’s Organic!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! ® It’s Organic!
- ½ red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Kernels from 4 small ears of corn
- 8 small tomatoes, halved
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- First, make the pistachio-herb spread. Place pistachios in a food processor and pulse a few times to chop. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined, scraping down sides as needed. Scrape into a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, sauté the vegetables. Heat ICBINB! ® In a large, oven-safe skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add corn and sauté 2 minutes just to take off the raw edge. Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make four wells in the vegetables and crack an egg into each. Place skillet in the oven and bake 14-16 minutes until whites are set and yolks are still runny.
- Remove skillet from oven and dollop vegetables and eggs with scoops of pistachio-herb spread. Enjoy!
More Recipes with Summer Produce: