Welp, I had this very lovely post written for you all today. It tied in a conversation I had over Thanksgiving about Intuitive Eating, and how once you get past diet rules and start paying attention to what food feels good, you can actually discover the eating pattern that works best for you. For me, that's a smaller breakfast, bigger lunch and moderate dinner, a satisfying snack or two midday, and lotsa carbs and fat, like in this recipe for lentil pasta with roasted fingerlings, baby kale and crispy garlic.
But then, after 2 hours of typing without hitting save, my computer froze and I lost everything. What a fun way to get back into work after being out of town all last week.
Since I successfully disconnected last week, which means my to-do list is a mile long this week, y'all are just gonna have to deal with the yummy recipe sans insightful commentary. Sometimes done is better than perfect!
This lentil pasta with roasted fingerlings is basically my perfect meal because it's got the whole carb on carb thing going on, plus there's cheese and garlic involved. If you haven't tried lentil pasta yet, give it a try! It's got great flavor, plus it's packed with protein, which makes it easy to craft a balanced, vegetarian pasta meal. As you know, I'm not into diet labels, but I do enjoy eating meatless meals most importantly for taste but also because it's good for the environment. I bought my lentil pasta for this recipe from Trader Joe's, but there's also brands like Ancient Harvest and Tolerant that are widely available.
Lentil Pasta with Roasted Fingerlings, Baby Kale and Crispy Garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
- 12 ounces lentil pasta
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 ounce bag baby kale
- Crumbled feta, for serving
- Chopped toasted walnuts, for serving
- Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss fingerlings with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Spread evenly on a large baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway, until tender, golden and crispy.
- While potatoes are roasting, cook the lentil pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic, stir, and fry for 60-90 seconds until it's just starting to get golden. Don't let it go too long or it will start to burn. Carefully remove garlic from the oil with a slotted spatula or spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Once garlic has been removed, add red onion and red pepper flakes to the hot oil. Saute until onion is tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Add baby kale, stir and saute until wilted.
- Toss the lentil pasta with potatoes, sauteed vegetables and crispy garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve garnished with feta and walnuts and a spritz of lemon juice.
More carb on carb goodness: