Hi guys! Sharing another guest post today while I'm in Japan, and this one's from the lovely Julie Harrington at RDelicious Kitchen! She's another dietitian I met at Blog Brulee, and I'm really excited to be working with her all next year as my assistant/incoming newsletter editor for the Nutrition Entrepreneurs Dietetics Practice Group.
Hi everyone! Julie here, from RDelicious Kitchen. As Rachael is traveling, she has let me pop over here to share one of my new recipes – Carrot Cake Donuts!
Growing up I never really enjoyed donuts. Any time they would be brought to a social gathering or staring at me all lined up nice and neat when I stopped for a morning cup of coffee, it was always easy to pass. No particular reason, I just never really enjoyed them.
So the donut hater is now making donuts? Well, let me tell you about these particular donuts. Not going to lie, pretty much the only thing “donut” about them is their shape. I was testing a batch of carrot cake muffins and they didn’t rise enough creating that perfect golden muffin top I was looking for. Instead of wasting the extra batter, I piped them into a donut pan. Voila! Carrot cake donuts!
To be fair, these are more of a muffnut/duffin (I don’t think these names will catch on) – just simply a cakey donut. These are the kind of donuts I do enjoy!
Carrot cake donuts are not complete without a cream cheese frosting. They are perfect as is, but also get creative a pair with other foods. I crumbled a donut on a 4% vanilla Siggi’s – SO GOOD!
What is your favorite donut flavor?
Carrot Cake Donuts with Yogurt Frosting
Author: Julie Harrington, RD
Serves: Makes 8 donuts
- 1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted, and cooled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup walnut, finely chopped
- For the dairy free cream cheese frosting*:
- 4 ounces non-dairy cream cheese (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or plain), plus more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients (almond flour through nutmeg). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then gently fold in grated carrots and walnuts.
- Place batter into a large ziplock bag (or piping bag). Trim off one of the corners and pipe batter into the donut tins.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let donuts cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to let the donuts cool completely. (Don’t frost until completely cool or frosting will slide right off!)
- For the cream cheese frosting: Using an electric mixer, mix frosting ingredients until thoroughly combined. If too thick add more almond milk, until you reach desired consistency.
- Spread frosting evenly over donuts.