This miso grilled chicken sandwich with sriracha mayo is a flavor bomb of spicy, smoky, and fresh flavors!
The past few months, the hubs and I have been hard at work FINALLY landscaping our backyard after living in our house 5 years. So far, we've got a new brick patio, a simple (aspirational) vegetable garden, and coming soon...more grass than weeds! Once he makes me the farmhouse table I've been dreaming of and we figure out how to get rid of all the mosquitoes, we're good to go for backyard grilling parties. I was outside covered in bugspray for only 30 minutes and got bitten 36 times!! If zika is in South Carolina, I'll let you know soon.
I just looked back at my most recent recipe posts and realized everything I've shared has either been grilled or Asian food. Whoops! Didn't realize I was in such a rut! Well with this post, I'm getting all the Asian and grilled food out of my system then I promise I'm moving on to something new with a yummy Mexican appetizer on Thursday!
This sandwich is a major flavor bomb. It's spicy, smoky, crunchy, creamy, fresh and umami - basically all my favorite things! When the backyard is finally done, I think this may be our inaugural meal :)
Miso paste is one of my favorite pantry staples. It's a condiment made by fermenting soybeans to create a salty, savory paste. It's also a great source of those beneficial probiotics that make your tummy happy. There's so many other uses than miso soup (although miso soup is quite delicious!). Whisk into marinade like I did for this chicken, use it to make a glaze for roasted vegetables, blend into vegetarian dishes for umami flavor, or whisk into dressing for a probiotic boost.
[Tweet "Grilled miso chicken sandwich with sriracha mayo! "]
- [b]Chicken: [/b]
- 2 large chicken breasts or 4 thighs (about 1 lb total)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- [b]Sandwich: [/b]
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 of a cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sprouts or microgreens
- [b]Sriracha Mayo: [/b]
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Place chicken in a zip top bag and pound flat with a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Whisk together miso, sesame, soy sauce and ginger. Pour marinade into the ziptop bag with the chicken. Place in the refrigerator and marinate 8 hours or overnight.
- Oil grates of the grill and heat grill on medium-high heat. When hot, grill about 4 minutes per side until lightly charred and cooked through. Remove to clean plate and set aside while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Toast the bread. Whisk together the mayo and sriracha. If using chicken breasts, cut each in half. Top the bread with avocado, cucumber slices, grilled chicken and sprouts. Drizzle with sriracha mayo and top with other slice of bread. Serve immediately.
More summer recipes for grilling: