Oh man guys. These tacos are to die for.
Definitely comfort food to the max with Greek spiced beef, garlicky braised kale and a creamy feta sauce. It's the kinda meal you want after a long day when you come home ravenously hungry. And luckily it's pretty easy to throw together, so it's perfectly appropriate to make after a long day when you come home ravenously hungry.
First, saute the beef with tons of oregano and garlic. You could also swap in ground lamb as well, or even chicken.
Then braise the kale with lots of garlic as well. Garlic is a theme in this recipe.
Then you make a creamy feta and cucumber sauce by mixing Greek yogurt, crumbled feta, lemon juice, herbs and grated cucumber. Gah, this sauce just makes the dish.
While I served these in whole wheat tortillas, you could also use pita or even lavash bread to make a wrap. It is a little messy to eat, so be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.
Greek Tacos with Kale and Creamy Feta Sauce
Creamy Feta Sauce:
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 small cucumber, shredded, and lightly squeezed to remove extra liquid
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh scallion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch fresh kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas
1. In a medium bowl, mix together ingredients for the creamy feta sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Next, sauté the kale. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in kale, pour in ¼ cup of water, cover and let cook 10 minutes until tender. Remove lid, season with salt to taste and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed and greens are tender, adding more water if needed to cook to desired tenderness. Remove greens and set aside until ready to use.
3. Carefully wipe skillet clean with a paper towel, set on medium-high heat and add beef, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, and pepper flakes. Cook, breaking apart with a spatula, until meat is cooked through and browned. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Divide greens among the tortillas, top with ground beef and dollop or two of creamy feta sauce. Serve immediately.
More Taco Recipes: