Lentils stand in for ground beef in these vegan sloppy joes. Served with caramelized red onions and plenty of pickles!
Lentil Sloppy Joes
Adapted from Edible Perspective. Don't even attempt to eat this with your hands. Fork and knife are required for this bad boy.
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium-large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons mild chili powder (I used 1 tablespoon smoked chili powder and 2 tablespoons regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 1/2 inch rings
- 6 100% whole grain hamburger buns, toasted
- Pick over lentils for any stones or debris. Place in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Partially cover lid and simmer about 20 minutes, until al dente - tender, but with a bite. Drain.
- While lentils are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, a sprinkle of salt and cook until translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add carrot and cook 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute until fragrant. Pour in tomatoes and tomato paste, stir to combine. Stir in apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and 3/4 cup broth. Bring to a simmer and stir in lentils. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne (if using).
- While cooking the lentil mixture, caramelize the onions. Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium heat in a medium skillet. Add onions when hot. Cook 6-8 minutes until translucent, then sprinkle with salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until golden brown and caramelized.
- Place pickles on the bottom of a hamburger bun. Top with sloppy joe mixture and caramelized onions. Serve with microwaved baked potato chips.