Most weeks, I do a little meal planning and shop for groceries over the weekend. I don't like making decisions about what to eat after work, and I'm usually pretty hungry at that point, so it's nice to be able to come home, know what I'm going to eat and have all the ingredients to make it.
Considering we do a lot of traveling on the weekends, I like to have the ingredients to make a few pantry meals too. That way if I'm out of town over the weekend or don't get a chance to shop, I can still whip up something tasty.
These baked eggs and tortillas are one of my backup meals. It's kind of like a Mexican inspired shakshuka! I always have tortillas and eggs on hand, and you can swap in another type of cheese if you don't have pepper jack. Goat, cheddar, feta, and even mozzarella are all tasty here. You could even mix in more vegetables into the sauce, like shredded zucchini, spinach or chopped broccoli.
Baked Eggs and Tortillas in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can no-added-salt crushed tomatoes
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sliced avocado, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper and saute about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While tomato sauce is cooking, crisp the tortillas. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips and saute, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Remove from skillet and set aside until ready to use.
- Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of the skillet you used to crisp the tortillas. Spread the tortilla strips in an even layer over the tomato sauce. Spread the remaining sauce on top. Crack the eggs on top of the tortillas and sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the whites are set and the sauce is bubbly.
- Serve garnished as desired.
More pantry-friendly meals: