In my humble opinion, it's the dressing that makes the salad. I know, I'm a dietitian so I'm supposed to say it's all about the veggies, but whatever. It's the truth.
Homemade dressing tastes so much better than bottled - I don't think we've purchased salad dressing in years! It may sound complicated, but I promise, it takes just a few minutes to whip up.
The honey-citrus tahini dressing in the recipe is my all-time favorite. I love it on heartier salads especially. It is also fantastic with crudites for a snack or drizzled on grilled tofu. I also like to use it in Middle Eastern inspired pita sandwiches, like my pita sandwich with yogurt chickpeas or sweet potato falafel naan wrap.
Lentil and Rice Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 clover garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked lentils, cooled
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- 4 diced radishes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tbsp mint, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- Microgreens, watercress or arugula
- First, make the salad dressing. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss all of the salad ingredients except for the greens together in a large bowl. Divide the greens into four bowls. Top with the rice and lentil mixture. Drizzle (or completely saturate) with dressing and serve.