Make this triple chocolate dairy free banana ice cream topped with an easy two ingredient vegan shell topping!
I should probably go ahead and give you my address cause you're gonna want to send me flowers for this one.
Surely, at this point you've heard of (and hopefully have tried) one ingredient banana ice cream, or banana nice cream as it's so often called. No dairy. No sugar. No ice cream maker. Just a frozen banana a food processor. Whip it up until it forms a cool, creamy mass. Being the ice cream snob that I am, I held off on trying it for years - well after it made the rounds on pinterest. Until finally I tried it and life was never the same. Err, it was the same but with lots more banana ice cream.
Sometimes though, you want something just a little more decadent and that's where this triple chocolate banana ice cream comes in. Blended in with the ice cream is a scoop of chocolate peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter + Co), cocoa powder and a little coconut cream for extra yumminess. The kicker is this easy vegan chocolate magic shell, made with the magic of dark chocolate and coconut oil. I got the idea from my pal Alex at Delish Knowledge. You'll be seeing a lot more of her around these parts as we're working together along with Anne from fANNEtastic Food to launch an online intuitive eating program.
Do y'all remember Magic Shell, the chocolate syrup that hardens when drizzled on ice cream to make a crunchy, chocolatey shell? Do they still make it? (<--- Just googled it. They do. Phew). It's pretty much the worlds greatest ice cream topping with crumbled up double stuff oreos in a distant second. When I was a kid, my favorite treat was a scoop of Breyer's vanilla ice cream (always Breyers. I was an ice cream snob even back then) in a glass of milk with a hefty drizzle of magic shell. You swirl it with a spoon right after pouring the magic shell in and it make these swirls of hardened chocolate. Pure heaven. The best was when you got a spoonful of melty ice cream with some of the chocolatey swirls that had settled on the bottom. Heaven.
...And now I'm dreaming of creating an epic version of it with macadamia nut milk, coconut ice cream and this homemade magic shell. Since my brain is going to be fixated on that, I should probably go ahead and sign off with the recipe, because how do you form words when that's on your mind?
Triple Chocolate Dairy Free Banana Ice Cream
1 large or 2 small servings
Regular peanut butter works too if you don't have chocolate on hand. This makes extra magic shell, which you can store in the fridge. You'll have to remelt before each use by heating it in the microwave about 60 seconds, stopping halfway to stir.
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream (taken from the top of a can of full fat coconut milk)
- Coconut whipped cream, optional, for serving
- Shredded coconut, optional for serving
- Vegan magic shell, optional, for serving
Vegan Magic Shell:
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- First, make the shell topping. Microwave chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl about 30 seconds. Stir and put back in the microwave 20-30 seconds more. Stir until chocolate is melted and combined.
- Next, place banana, cocoa powder, peanut butter and coconut cream in a food processor. Blend, scraping down sides as needed, until a creamy mass of 'ice cream' forms.
- Scoop ice cream in a bowl or cup. Garnish with whipped cream, shredded coconut (if using) and magic shell.
More banana-chocolate love children: