Cannellini bean pumpkin risotto with garlicky mushrooms is the perfect comforting fall meal. Vegan and gluten free too!
Today, I bring you a big, cozy bowl of fall.
This cannellini bean pumpkin risotto with garlicky sauteed mushrooms is basically the food equivalent of wrapping up in your favorite sweater. It's so warm and comforting and stick to your ribs good. The perfect meal for when you want something rich and decadent, but don't want to feel like you just ate something super rich and decadent.
Can we talk about how much I love risotto? I used to make it on occasion, but I haven't in years. Stupid Top Chef ruined it for me. I mean, how many people have been kicked off for failing risotto? If legit top chefs can't make risotto, then I probably can't make risotto. I'll stick with this mock-risotto thank you.
This risotto (can I even call it risotto if it's not made with rice??) is infinitely easier and does not require sitting around a pot constantly stirring. I appreciate that. Not stirring leaves time for doing other fun things.
Fun things like going to art museum parties with friends. This Friday we went to Arts & Draughts, a quarterly event at the art museum with live music, craft beer, and food trucks. And of course, all the exhibits are open, which are always fun to explore with a buzz. The current exhibition is Georgia O'Keefe, which definitely brought out our juvenile sense of humor.
That wasn't the end of fun things this weekend. One of Scott's best friends from high school was in town, so after watching another Clemson victory, we went out for tacos. I was a little sad because I forgot to ask for corn tortillas (>>>>> flour tortilas), but a taco is a taco so how sad can you be?
Most fun of all, my sister-in-law, Rebecca, got engaged this weekend! How pretty and happy is she?? Honest to goodness, I can't think of a more kind and caring person than her. I'm sure you're a lovely person, but I'm sorry, you don't hold a candle to her. So internet world, lets send them lots of happy thoughts and well wishes!
Now, go make risotto!
Cannellini Bean Pumpkin Risotto with Garlicky Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons miso paste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, cleaned and quartered or sliced
- Large pinch of dried thyme
A couple handfuls of arugula, optional
Balsamic vinegar, optional
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, broth, coconut milk, pumpkin, tahini, miso and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Simmer 10-15 minutes until thickened then season with salt and pepper.
- While risotto is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and saute 2-3 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms, dried thyme and sea salt. Saute, stirring every so often, until mushrooms have released and reabsorbed their liquid.
- Serve risotto topped with mushrooms. Garish with a handful of arugula and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar if desired.
More easy recipes for fall: