This beet, radish and avocado salad is a simple and colorful side salad for entertaining! Add chickpeas or tuna in olive oil to make a main dish.
Guys, I promise I'm not sharing this recipe the day after Thanksgiving because I think you need to have a salad. Seriously, go have some stuffing for breakfast! If I was home with a fridge full of leftovers, that's what I'd be doing before spending the day making turkey soup!
I made this salad last week for cookbook club and thought it was too easy and tasty not to share. Have you ever heard of a cookbook club? The premise is so fun, I don't know why the trend died back in the day.
A friend of mine decided to start a one after reading this article. The premise is simple - pick a cookbook, the host makes the main and the other attendees make the appetizers, cocktails and sides.
What's great is that for the time it takes to prepare one dish, you get to try as many dishes as there are attendees. Perfect for those cookbooks where you want to try everything in it. Plus, since it all comes from the same cookbook, everything pairs well together.
For our first cookbook club, we chose Clean Slate. Kind of a perfect choice the week before Thanksgiving. It's a cookbook I already own and cook from pretty regularly, so I was excited when all the dishes at the party were ones I hadn't tried before. Some of the highlights were spinach pie, a sweet potato, farro and dill salad, and chicken paillards with squash and spinach, and the yummiest chocolate bark.
[Tweet "This beet, radish and avocado salad is perfect for entertaining!"]
Bulk up this salad to make a main with chickpeas, tuna in olive oil or seared chicken.
- 3 medium beets
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 7 ounces arugula
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap beets loosely in aluminum foil and place in the hot oven. Roast 45-60 minutes until tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool in the foil. Once cool enough to handle, rub the skin off the beets and discard. Thinly slice.
- Divide arugula evenly between salad plates. Top with beet slices, radish, avocado, and goat cheese. Whisk vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad.
More colorful salads for entertaining: