Treat yourself to a healthy brunch with this asparagus eggs benedict with grain free biscuits and a creamy avocado hollandaise.
I recently read an article in Food & Wine Magazine all about how brunch is officially back. Seriously? When as brunch ever out cause I totally missed that memo? I mean, who doesn't love an excuse to drink Bloody Mary's before noon and eat food smothered in hollandaise?
My one beef? Going out for brunch requires me to take a shower and make myself presentable on a weekend morning, which I loathe. Weekends are for lounging around the house in fuzzy socks and your ugliest, oldest, most broken in pair of yoga pants, I say. Uh oh. Did I just reveal myself to be in my thirties?
[Tweet "Asparagus Eggs Benedict with Grain Free Biscuits & Avocado Hollandaise by @RHartleyRD #MeatlessMonday"]
Solution? Make brunch at home and pour a couple light on the orange juice mimosas while you're at it! Not only is it a fun, stay-at-home date (or a way to pamper yourself!), but you get to enjoy the fancy breakfast food you don't have time to make during the week.
I used to think poaching eggs was impossible, only for chefs at fancy restaurants, but then I read directions on how to do it. Apparently dropping eggs into boiling water makes a hot mess of broken up boiled egg and not perfectly poached spheres of runny yolked goodness. I think this is my problem with most things in life. I act first, read directions later. Don't make the same mistake. This post on how to poach an egg by Smitten Kitchen breaks it down into simple to follow directions.
Also of note, the biscuits in these pictures are not the same ones included in the recipe. I've been damned and determined to find a perfect grain free biscuit recipe, not because I have anything against whole wheat flour, but because I'm stubborn, especially when it comes to things I'm not very good at (i.e. biscuit making). The biscuits pictured tasted great, but were a bit hockey puck-like in appearance (not in taste, thankfully). This weekend, I finally nailed it!
- [b]Grain Free Biscuit[/b]:
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons honey
- [b]Avocado Hollandaise: [/b]
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- [b]Other Ingredients:[/b]
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First, make the biscuits. In a large bowl, whisk together almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Drizzle in melted coconut oil and using your fingers or a fork, stir together until evenly dispersed in the flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and honey. Pour into flour and whisk until combined.
- Oil a baking sheet. Using a large spoon, drop 6 biscuits evenly on the sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.
- While biscuits are baking, steam asparagus in a steamer pot for 5 minutes until bright green and tender. Remove and set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, cut in half.
- Poach the egg according to [url href="http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/08/how-to-poach-an-egg-smitten-kitchen-style/"]this method[/url].
- While you're poaching the eggs, make the hollandaise. Add the avocado, lemon juice and water to a blender. Season with salt. Blend until pureed.
- When ready to serve, top each biscuit with asparagus and a poached egg, then spoon on some avocado hollandaise.
You might also like: